HPTLC offers one of the most cost effective chromatographic methods for separation ,identification and quantification of components in complex organic mixtures. In addition it provides highest laboratory throughput amongst contemporary chromatographic techniques (upto about 100 samples a day).
Other major advantages are:
• Separations can be seen visually for most components
• Sample preparation is simple
• Same instrument can be used for wide sample range i.e raw materials, in-process materials and finished
• Serves as pilot study before attempting HPLC
• Running and maintenance costs are low.
• Power failures seldom affect output as separations are carried out off-line.