Management plays a pivotal role in upkeep of efficiency and quality of laboratory services. A sound understanding of both technical and commercial aspects is essential requirement for taking charge of this important function. Professional approach to management of a laboratory is the key to ensuring reputation and sustained business growth.
Senior management is responsible for orientation and motivation of the laboratory staff. It provides both administrative and technical support for the smooth running of laboratory operations. In this article the focus is upon the administrative and technical aspects which have direct bearing on laboratory output and quality.
Management’s responsibilities :
- Recruitment of technically qualified and experienced laboratory staff
- Procurement of latest analytical instruments incorporating most recent softwares and accessories
- Sourcing of technical reference journals and books.
- Training of staff in accordance with their job requirements
- Introduction of systems on reporting of results to clients with minimum time delays
- Ensuring uninterrupted supply of spares and consumables
- Storage space for records and samples
- Ensuring only validated methods are adopted as standard test procedures
- SOP’s are periodically updated and followed by concerned departments as per prescribed guidelines
- Sample receipt, distribution and final disposal are carried out in a stipulated manner
- Laboratory facilities are used to their full capacity with minimal breakdowns
- Laboratory chemists have provision of safety gear, proper lighting and ventilation
- Mandatory signs are prominently displayed in the laboratory
- Laboratory waste and effluents are disposed of in accordance with stipulated guidelines
- Ethical practices are followed and results are communicated to customers in the committed timeframes.
It can be seen from above that management alone or a single individual cannot implement all the above points. It is a team effort requiring cooperation from the entire group. It implies that management should keep motivating and delegating authority to individuals within the organization and make them feel accountable.This approach goes a long way in cultivating a sense of belonging and encourages each individual to put in his or her best.
Please share your views on the topic and offer your comments.