As a scientist, you should know about the research methods as they can help you compile, analyze and interpret things pertaining to any research problem. There are different types of research methods according to the purpose and nature of the study. You are expected to discuss the research that is why you need to learn Effective reporting of laboratory observations.
Here are the things that you should know about research methods:
What are the general classifications of research methods?
Types of research methods are classified into two general categories – quantitative and qualitative.
• Quantitative research: can describe and infer problems with the use of numbers. For this
type of research, the emphasis is on the accumulation of numerical data.
• Qualitative research: involves identification of components of a complex matrix.
What are the types of research methods based on the purpose of the study?
The types are divided into two categories – applied and fundamental research. Basically, the two types tackle the adoption of a scientific and systematic method to perform a study.
• Applied research: often called action research. This type of research gets rid of theory
by accumulating the basics. For this type of research, generalizations are
preferred and forecasting is implemented.
• Fundamental research: often called pure research. This type of research attempts to
solve a specific problem by accumulating the field of application. It features different disciplines in order to solve the problem. The research will tackle individual cases without generalizing.
What are the types of research methods based on the nature of the study?
The types are divided into two groups – descriptive and analytical.
• Descriptive research: this refers to studies and surveys that facilitate the identification
of the facts.
• Analytical research: this refers to a method when researchers have to utilize facts or information
already available. Ultimately, the researchers will analyze the facts or
information to create an evaluation.
What are the types of research methods based on the research design?
The types are divided into two categories – exploratory and conclusive.
• Exploratory research: the goal is to probe the research area but not offer conclusive answers
. The methodology is flexible and does not involve testing of hypothesis. The
finds for the studies are specific and it might not have relevance outside of the researcher’s field.
• Conclusive research: the goal is to provide conclusive answers. It has a formal methodology that is required to be tested and followed. The findings have a theoretical implication.
Now that you know the different methods of research, it is time to choose the best writing services for your scientific research problem. Keep in mind the selecting the right type of research method can be daunting because there are many factors that you need to evaluate and consider.
The major considerations here are budget, research questions, and ethics followed by statistics required and the preferred methods for the specific discipline. For pure sciences like astrophysics and chemistry, the experiments are easy to define because it is strictly quantitative. In other field,s the design must minimise compromises and generalisations but remain realistic at the same time.